Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: noodles, MarkB
This thread is now closed
Author Post
KRFL-BayCity
Tue Mar 19 2013, 08:50a.m.
Registered Member #12

OK, my turn....

I dislike the live-time concept in the rookie draft.... if we have a voided trade, we have many picks that need to/should be redone.... I don't like the concept of adding the 'bad' players back later; many teams may have changed draft strategies based on who they picked and would have chosen the 'missing' players instead of who they got....

the penalties may be a bit harsh(maybe a progressive 500k for 1st, 1mil for 2nd, etc).... I can see penalizing a team for trades involving players/picks they don't have or salary cap violations; but I can't see penalties for voiding an imbalanced trade; they haven't violated any rules, just their opinions differ from the norm....

if we have trading in draft, why limit it to certain rounds, especially FA draft; the cutoff would be $3 mil rounds, many teams don't even start drafting till after that, and you never know your money situation that early because you never really know if you'll be using the higher round money till you see who is left....

Cliff
Tue Mar 19 2013, 02:42p.m.

In all the leagues I am in we have in draft trading. I am not sure you need someone to necessary monitor it every day as people can do it themselves. For example I tarde you pick 2-9 at noon today. Your slot is 5:00 today. You just go ahead and make the pick. Trades can't be approved that quickly but maybe the stipulation of the trade is if it is vetoed the team that traded pick 2-9 would have the player drafted by the other team or most often than not the trade would be re-worked. So few are rejected it shouldnt be a concern. I like the trading aspect and think it should be available to those who wnat to jump up and grab the player they want. It isnt the end of the world if we don't have it but don't see a reason of keeping track of the trades as a reason not to have it rather than finding a way to have it.

If you want people to be responsible for what they trade then unless i missed it there should be a tab on the homepage with the current pick grid. I still think that is completely over the top but not making it easy to view won't help any situation.
Hawks
Tue Mar 19 2013, 07:05p.m.

I agree that simpler is better and that KRFL is a hobby. I don't want it to turn into a job for me. Maybe I'm not the right guy for the Finance Officer position. Regardless, I can commit to updating the spreadsheets on the weekend. If you guys are ok with that, then I won't stand in the way of real-time trading. I wouldn't want to hinder anyone's enjoyment of the league.
srs131313
Tue Mar 19 2013, 08:00p.m.

In response to the thread here:
In-draft trading: Trading during the draft presents several problems. First, the people who have to monitor the trading (trade comm./spreadsheet god) must be available 24/7 during that period. Not always feasible. Further, the process favors those with time during the day. I have a job where they don’t particularly encourage us to conduct drafts and trades during work hours. I am sure other people are in the same position. Therefore, any trade activity on my part could not take place until I got home in the evening, which would normally be too late for that day. I agree with the idea of restricting trades to only the first couple of rounds of each draft, but propose the following – build in a “trade day” between each round. Monday = first round, Tuesday = trade day, Wednesday = second round, etc. That schedule gives coaches a full day to “wheel and deal” and to also address any possible objections or cap/pick issues that may arise from a trade. It would also make it possible for people like me (with those pesky day jobs) to actually participate in the process.
This process: As one of the Rules guys, I am not really thrilled with shoving these changes through without a formal vote. There is plenty of time in the schedule to submit these ideas as amendments next month and let them get voted on well before the drafts. These are pretty significant changes and if they can get pushed through without a vote, why do we have a Rule Book?
Cliff
Wed Mar 20 2013, 02:40a.m.

I don't see an issue with updating the spreadsheet on the weekend. I would think everyone can calculate their own money for the rounds during the week and outlines some kind of a draft strategy ahead of time because you can't just wing it and hope you fall under the cap.
noodles
Wed Mar 20 2013, 03:02a.m.
Webmaster

Registered Member #1

Now we're talking :)

If it's okay, I'd like to split the conversation into two parts - the Rookie Draft and the Free Agent Draft.

Before I can do that, however, I need to address Steve's question.

As one of the Rules guys, I am not really thrilled with shoving these changes through without a formal vote.
There is plenty of time in the schedule to submit these ideas as amendments next month and let them get voted on well before the drafts.
These are pretty significant changes and if they can get pushed through without a vote, why do we have a Rule Book?

One of the best things about this league is the democratic process that determines the rules we play by. Unfortunately, I think that in this instance, we need to make an executive call for the reasons I've described above. If we were to have a vote, what would we vote on? The status quo won't work so that can't be an option unless the group of us, as administrators, are okay with continuing it. The two most important guys in the conversation, Jerry and Mark (because they keep the books) have already stated that they are unhappy with that idea. The simple fact is that without Mike monitoring the draft by the hour, the system we have in place doesn't fit our staff and is unworkable. If you remove the choice of voting for the status quo, then any choices we propose will have already stepped outside the usual amendment process. Now we could present two or three alternatives for voting, but I'd prefer that we work out the details in committee and present our recommendations with a unified voice and explain why the changes are necessary.

I want to make something clear. I am not proposing changes for the sake of change. Nor am I in any manner imposing my will upon the league structure. As Commissioner, I've identified a real problem and convened a committee to address it.

Trading During the Rookie Draft

I have no problem getting rid of the live-time concept. In fact, it was for the reasons Steve mentioned that I argued against the rule in the past when
it was originally proposed. The only reason I kept some mechanism in place was because it was popular last year.

As to what we do with players that have been drafted in a rookie draft whose trade is subsequently voided, I think Jerry misunderstood me.
My idea is that voided trades would result in any players involved being taken out of the rookie draft and entered into NEXT season's Free Agent Draft.

For the moment, I think we should set aside the issue of the consequences of bad trades and decide these matters first.

Please vote yes or no on these 6 items.

1) Should we maintain the status quo of no-restrictions on trading?
2) Should we abandon real-time trading?
3) Should we disallow all trading during the rookie draft as was the case prior to last year?
4) As an alternative, do we allow rookie draft trading as long as the trades are posted prior to the conclusion of the previous round?
5) As an alternative, should we allow rookie draft trading under the conditions of number 4 but restrict the number of rounds where trading is allowed?
6) As an alternative, should we have a day of trading between each round as Steve has proposed?
KRFL-BayCity
Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:30a.m.
Registered Member #12

1-no, 2-yes, 3-no, 4-yes, 5-no, 6-no
mark
Wed Mar 20 2013, 09:00a.m.
Registered Member #45

1,no 2,yes 3,no 4,yes, 5,no 6,yes
noodles
Wed Mar 20 2013, 11:10a.m.
Webmaster

Registered Member #1

Hawks
Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:02p.m.

Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF