Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: noodles, MarkB
This thread is now closed
Author Post
noodles
Tue Feb 26 2013, 02:09a.m.
Webmaster

Registered Member #1

1) To accommodate West Coast members, we'll start the draft each day at 10am ET.
2) To accommodate European members, we'll eliminate the Late Pick periods so each day will close earlier.

I don't see #1 as essential.... if we close a round at a specified time(not allow the last pick to have unlimited time till the next day); we would be ending at 8pmPacific, allowing west coasters to post(or make a very short list) the night before instead of early morning.... regarding #2; I don't think it would really affect the Euros, since we are already talking 3-4am their time....

Agreed.
Trades are allowed during the first three rounds of the Rookie draft BUT they must be submitted on the website and confirmed by the second party BEFORE the conclusion of the current round giving the league office time to update the website for the next day's picks.

I would add that they also need to notify us by e-mail that they posted a trade....

Agreed
If we have in-draft trading as you discussed with postings, I would add that all trades for a round must be posted before the start of the whole round(this would specifically address 2-day rounds; so we could finalize the whole round before it started....

Agreed
I would like to see some type of rule where you can't trade late picks that you aren't going to use(for example, you have 1 roster spot open and you trade 2 $200k and 2 $100k for a $300k pick)....

I would restrict trading to the first five salary tiers, eliminating that kind of thing.
mark
Thu Feb 28 2013, 09:47p.m.
Registered Member #45

I agree with the rules proposed for in draft trading this year.
noodles
Fri Mar 15 2013, 02:32a.m.
Webmaster

Registered Member #1

Okay,
Here's a more complete draft that needs your comments:

New Rules for In-Draft Trading

---------------------------------------------------------------

Rookie Draft Trading
* Real Time Trading is allowed through the first two rounds of the draft. This means that you may make a trade during a round and act upon it immediately.
You must make note of the trade in the draft thread when you post your pick.
* Trades may involve rookie draft picks (including next year's), players under contract or in an option year, and/or draft picks in the upcoming Free Agent Draft.
* Trades must be posted and confirmed by both parties on the Trade Forum BEFORE any action is taken AND BEFORE the final pick of the day's round.
* Rookie Draft trading closes at the conclusion of the second round.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Free Agent Draft Trading
* Real Time Trading is NOT allowed. This means that you may only arrange a trade for the next day's trading round.
* Trading is allowed through the first five salary tiers of the draft but only prior to the first round of each salary tier.
* Trades may involve next year's rookie draft picks, players under contract, and/or draft picks in the current Free Agent Draft.
* Trades must be posted and confirmed by both parties on the Trade Forum BEFORE the end of the round preceeding the first round of the next salary tier.
* Free Agent trading closes at the conclusion of the fourth salary tier rounds.

--------------------------------------------------------------

In-Draft Trade Check List

The burden is on both trading parties to make sure any trade is fair and legal. Posted trades are assumed to be valid and will be processed
as such, pending review by the League Office and Trade Committee.

To make sure your trade is compliant with the rules, use the following check list:

1) Do you and your trading partner own the rights to the draft picks and/or players you are trading?
2) Will this trade violate the salary cap limits for either party? ($83m prior to the Rookie Draft, $70m prior to the FA Draft, $93m after).
3) Does your trade pass the smell test of fairness to both parties?

If, after all due diligence (i.e., checking the latest spreadsheet/draft board/website for all recent transactions involving both teams),
the answer is yes to all three conditions:

1) Post your trade in the Trade forum and have your trading partner confirm it.
2) Use the KRFL mailbox to announce your proposed trade to the Trade Committee.
3) Your trade is assumed to be legal and will be processed pending later review by the League Office and the Trade Committee.

How Can a Trade Be Invalidated?

A processed trade can be invalidated at any time by the League Office if it violates salary cap restrictions, involves picks or players unowned by either party, or
otherwise violates the constitution. Trades can also be cancelled for reasons of imbalance by two vetoes from the three member Trade Committee.
The League Office will not immediately review the trade for compliance. The onus of verifying the trade, checking the data and doing the math, falls upon the trading parties. If a trade is later voided, both teams involved will be penalized.

Penalties:

Rookie Draft:
Trades vetoed for reasons of non-compliance or imbalance will incur the following consequences:
1) All Rookie picks involved in the trade (including future picks) will be lost by both teams. Any Rookie(s) drafted before a trade is voided
will be entered into the next season's Free Agent pool.
2) Trades involving future draft picks, both Rookie and Free Agent, will be voided and the draft board returned to the order established
prior to the bad trade. An administrative cost of $1m per team per incident will be charged to both teams prior to the upcoming Free Agent Draft.
3) Voided trades involving Free Agent players will result in the traded player returning to the original team with an administrative cost
of $1m per team per incident charged to both teams prior to the upcoming Free Agent Draft.

Free Agent Draft
Trades vetoed for reasons of non-compliance or imbalance will incur the following consequences:
1) Trades involving future draft picks, both Rookie and Free Agent, will be voided and the draft board returned to the order established
prior to the bad trade. An administrative cost of $1m per team per incident will be charged to both teams and applied to the current Free Agent Draft.
2) Voided trades involving Free Agent players will result in the traded player returning to the original team with an administrative cost
of $1m per team per incident charged to both teams applied to the current Free Agent Draft.
3) Any Free Agent(s) drafted before a trade is voided will be returned to the Free Agent pool and will become immediately re-eligible to be drafted at the cost at which the player was initially drafted during the first ensuing round. In subsequent rounds, the player will be treated like any other available free agent. Teams involved in the voided trade are ineligible to re-draft. An administrative cost of $1m per team per incident will be charged to both teams and applied to the current Free Agent Draft.

added 3/15

[ Edited Fri Mar 15 2013, 11:29p.m. ]
Hawks
Fri Mar 15 2013, 07:54a.m.

I'm assuming there will be a vote on this proposal for potential incorporation into the KRFL Constitution.

Limiting the rookie draft trading to the first two rounds and the free agent draft trading through the first five tiers of that draft is helpful.

The self-imposed due diligence requirement that both trading parties must conduct prior to the trade will reduce the real-time burden on the trade committee and financial officer. I would anticipate that sooner or later unintended clerical errors (e.g., I traded a pick I didn't have) will occur. The penalties are pretty stiff, so let the buyer beware.
mark
Fri Mar 15 2013, 08:18a.m.
Registered Member #45

don't kow if you need an approval.

I APPROVE.
noodles
Fri Mar 15 2013, 03:02p.m.
Webmaster

Registered Member #1

I'm assuming there will be a vote on this proposal for potential incorporation into the KRFL Constitution.

Mark,
There would be no vote. The rule changes would be an executive decision so that we can conduct the draft this year.

The penalties are pretty stiff, so let the buyer beware.

Does anyone think they are too stiff?
noodles
Sun Mar 17 2013, 04:21a.m.
Webmaster

Registered Member #1

Here is another change I'd like to make as an executive decision:

Roster Requirements
Proposed change
The League Office will no longer monitor minimum staffing requirements to fill your roster. The previously mandated roster requirements will henceforth be
considered to be strong suggestions.

As a first year commish last season, it fell upon me to verify that each team fulfilled the minimum requirements in staffing their teams. Every team checked
out so I spent an hour or two wasting my time. The simple fact is that the minimum requirements are so obvious and essential to creating a competitive team,
that there is no need for the league to oversee rosters. I will not waste my time again checking for compliance. If someone is willing to volunteer to take
over this unnecessary task, the rules can remain as they are.
Cliff
Mon Mar 18 2013, 12:17a.m.

Personally I think these penalties of a trade being vetoed are redicoulous and you will lose members at times over an decision made by others. Between all sports I am in about 15 leagues and have played in plenty others that have folded and nothing this extreme has ever even been suggested. I run 4 leagues and would never even consider voting on this in any of them. I see no way you can penalize teams for trying to make a trade especially when at times it comes down to one person's opinion of player value. I have never seen any league I have been in stay successful over time when it becoems a dictatorship. This is far too controversial and it seems to lose the purpose of these leageus which is for fun and if you alienate interaction because everyone is afraid to make a trade the league grows further apart which usually leagues tgo high turnover and a bad league. To me traidng should be encouragd because it helps owners develop relationship wikth other owners and adds fun to the league. If you ahve tarding during the draft it should be all rounds or none. Most of us play in more than one league and being a hobby we don't have time to remember every last rule when it is not clear cut. When new potential owners are looking to join a legaue and we have openings they too wnat specific, simplified rules or there are too amny other chocies they can make which could make recruting harder too.

No doubt being commissioner is a time constraint. The roster requirements are there for realism so a team doesn't have 1 ILB, 2 OLB and 10 RB's on their roster. It isnt major but does help rosters be more realistic.

This league has at least 10 years under its belt so something has worked. With all the things changed the last two years to me it is saying we have many issues which i just don't see in my existence in the league to justify all this change. If it is too time consuming for one person I am sure someone can help on some of the tasks. This is supposed to be a hobby for fun but all the unnecessary change is certainly starting to suck the fun out of it and if you make this a full time job as strict as a classroom you won't have too many members left to have a league. Just my opinion but I have had a lot of people run through my leagues over the years and if nothing else have leanred how most of the people who play Action tick.
mark
Mon Mar 18 2013, 09:58p.m.
Registered Member #45

Cliff, I don't think this trade rule is directed towards weather trades are fair, I think it has to do with teams being responsible for the trades they make. Keeping track of salary caps in the context of the trade. not trading a draft spot twice, ect. The penalties are a suggestion in my interpretation and all other suggestions would be considered.
I don't think it is to much to ask owners to keep track and make sure things are correct. It would make things run so much more smoothly. The nuances of the changes are based on making a better league. The trading last year got a bit out of hand, but trading is fun, so why is it too much to ask an owner to be responsible for their actions. Maybe the "penalties", which is a word that can easily frighten people, can be worked on. I only play in this league because it's fun and I only want to play in one league because it makes it more authentic for me. Some suggestions on how to deal with the current issues would be appreciated.

Thanks

[ Edited Mon Mar 18 2013, 09:59p.m. ]
noodles
Tue Mar 19 2013, 02:58a.m.
Webmaster

Registered Member #1

Let's set aside the roster requirements.

What I'm not sure is clear is that the rules governing trading during the draft have to change to accommodate the reality of our volunteer staff. Mark (ALA) who
maintains the spreadsheet and draftboard has made it clear that he can only work on league business over the weekends. Jerry, who updates the league file, has stated more than once that he thought the experiment in in-draft trading was a "clusterf*ck."

Given the essential role both play in maintaining the league, the question before us is urgent and unavoidable:

What do we do about in-draft trading? We, as the KRFL leadership, need to make a decision quickly and by necessity outside the usual amendment process.

I have asked for everyone's input and have made my own proposals. I am waiting for other ideas or improvements to the ones I've made. This has nothing to do with me setting arbitrary penalties, scaring off members, or complicating the rules. Telling me that my ideas suck doesn't really help us arrive at a solution.

Of course, the simplest solution would be to continue what we established last year but to do that we'd need a new Mike - someone who monitored the draft hourly, vetted the trades, and updated the website accordingly. Cliff, if you'd like to volunteer for this task, or, recruit another volunteer willing to commit, we could put to bed this whole discussion.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF