Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: noodles, MarkB
Author Post
jonwolgamuth
Sun Jan 10 2021, 04:13p.m.
Registered Member #92

[quote]
Salem wrote ...

As I have mentioned, I cannot support a system where making good GM decisions is punished. This is a hard no for me.

Jon wrote ...

I could see the argument being made that this system rewards poor GM-ing to an extent (again, some luck involved due to injuries, etc). But it definitely takes away the tanking mentality in order to get better draft picks.

[ Edited Sun Jan 10 2021, 04:15p.m. ]
MarkB
Sun Jan 10 2021, 04:32p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

mark wrote ...

I’m sure someone has posted this in the past, but what are the current records of teams getting a top 4 pick records to date?

Because the 2020 regular season is now finished, this would be for the 2022 Draft. It would NO impact the 2021 draft.

2021 Lottery Teams:
Inverness 0-16
Kentucky 2-14
Salem 4-11
One of Warrington, Moline or BayCity 5-11

2020 Lottery Teams:
West Seattle 2-14
Kentucky 2-14
Salem 3-13
Cleveland 4-12

2019 Lottery Team
Black Hills 2-14
West Seattle 3-13
Bay City 3-13
Des Moines 5-11

[ Edited Sun Jan 10 2021, 04:58p.m. ]
MarkB
Sun Jan 10 2021, 04:56p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

jonwolgamuth wrote ...

Salem wrote ...

As I have mentioned, I cannot support a system where making good GM decisions is punished. This is a hard no for me.

Jeff, I'm trying to understand your contention. I agree with it on its face--good GM decision making should not be punished. But if your team ends with a low PC Action salary the next season, doesn't that mean that the GM made some poor decisions? Or at least got unlucky.

What's the scenario where the GM makes good decisions and their team ends with a low salary based on the PC Action salary value?

------------------------------

I agree with Jeff!
Under my proposal, the teams that make good general manager decisions would be penalized with lower draft positions, and the teams making more poor general manager decisions would gain higher draft positions. My proposal is not to try to penalize teams nor give teams an advantage for poor general manager decisions. It was only a way to persuade a member not to tank a game or a season because draft picks are based on team records.

If we don't think we have a problem with teams tanking games or seasons, then this proposal is probably irrelevant.

[ Edited Sun Jan 10 2021, 06:20p.m. ]
Inverness
Mon Jan 11 2021, 05:42a.m.

Seems like a lot of work for something I am not convinced is a problem.
Cliff
Wed Jan 13 2021, 12:10a.m.

We go through this every year and it really takes away from the quality of the league the constant complaining of the draft order. There is a difference between tanking and being a smart GM. Ask the Jets about how smart they are at tanking. But seriously there is a difference between trying to lose on purpose and trading players who won’t be on your team next year for future assets. No offense to anybody but honestly you have to be half an idiot not to trade expiring contracts you will lose after the season ends when you know you can’t win in the current season and you lose them based on the league rules. That isn’t tanking that is doing what you should to help your future. I think most would call that intelligent not tanking.

Salem finished third on this list. His win against me by a point cost me the number one seed. Hard to say he tanked or I would have won. There are always team lower on the win total but this constant talk of tanking can be taken offensive by those with less of a roster for the current season because they show up and play 16 games and I do believe during those games they have the same drive as the ones fighting for playoff births with their pride to win the game. Maybe some outcomes don’t go their way but they did what they could to try to win the game and we all fall short some games even when we have superior talent.

The truth is we need to accept in every league someone finishes #1 and someone finishing last. That is part of any league including real life. We can all just make the best choices we think for our team and future and we all live with our own decisions. How many of us including myself would love to have deadline deals back where we sacrificed the future to take a shot at winning and didn’t even win a playoff game. None of us are paid scouts, coaches no matter what we think, and their success rate isn’t that high so how should we expect ours to be. Not to mention having the first pick guarantees you nothing more then you can pick and potentially be wrong on the player of your choice. The paid professionals get it wrong rest assure as a group we are worse than them. Then even if you earn the worst record not like in the NFL you have to win the lottery to get #1 pick so there is no guarantee.

My only suggestions maybe I have is having two lotteries one for rookie draft and one for free agent draft. This way you don’t automatically get top pick in both drafts. I would like to think we all are intelligent enough and when playing games I can’t personally recall seeing a coach calling plays to lose on purpose but if others have seen it that should be reported vs. making accusations that probably don’t exist when the better team wins the games and the ones hurt by injuries, bad cap space, etc. suffer though a tough season. I just think a more positive spin vs accusations is healthier for any league.
MarkB
Wed Jan 13 2021, 10:09a.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

Cliff makes some very good points and I agree with them.
And I agree with Jim R's earlier point that KRFL teams tend to "give up" on a season too early. Look at Tampa Bay this season. We were 1-4, we played the most difficult schedule in the league, and we made the playoffs. Even though we lost to a strong Seattle team in the Wild Card Game, it was a fun season for the Bandits.

I do kind of like Cliff's idea of having a different method for determining the free agent draft order, and need to ponder it. In the other league I am (and some of you are) in, that is how it is done. That Free Agent Draft is done based on Action PC team salaries, which I will admit is were I got the idea for my KRFL proposal.
KRFL-BayCity
Wed Jan 13 2021, 12:00p.m.
Registered Member #12

KRFL-BayCity wrote ...

I have to again disagree with any proposal that would partially be based on salaries of players who are not going to be around due to cuts or expired contracts....

perhaps wait till after cuts and use the average salary of the team since roster size will differ....

It DOES NOT include salaries of players whose contracts expired and they are not on the team's roster.
Why should we allow teams to cut players to improve their draft position? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Mark Blume
Tampa Bay Bandits / Commissioner

my point is, if you do this before cutdown, you will be including the salaries of the previous year's free agents who may be cut and therefore their salaries should not be included in your totals
rsarce
Wed Jan 13 2021, 08:24p.m.
Registered Member #15

I think Cliff's response is well thought out and communicated.....If there is a consensus about 'tanking' in the league, then call out the offenders publicly and let them state their case....I'd also like a consensus on who has tanked and reaped the benefits of a rookie draft that is not realized for 2 years.....and if their is tanking going on, I respectively request you put them on the Bensalem schedule next year....
mark
Thu Jan 14 2021, 06:12p.m.
Registered Member #45

Maybe the worst 12 teams go to a lottery for rookie draft. And the free agent draft is all 24 teams in a lottery.
Jimbo0121712000
Thu Jan 14 2021, 08:18p.m.
Registered Member #21

Cliff makes really good points and I think Marks above idea would cover that.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF