KRFL - a football simulation league
Forums
KRFL :: Forums :: KRFL Forums :: General League Discussions
ANTI-DUMPING AND MONOPOLY COMPREHENSIVE PACKAGE << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: noodles, MarkB
Author Post
mark
Sat Feb 01 2020, 02:15p.m.
Registered Member #45

Interesting.
Steelers
Sat Feb 01 2020, 02:34p.m.
Registered Member #100

data indicates significant trade restraint in the KRFL.
free trade markets with reasonable regulations increase prosperity :)
mark
Sat Feb 01 2020, 02:39p.m.
Registered Member #45

I think it may suggest different levels of participation. Some coaches just don’t trade. And we are dealing with, once again, potential statistics vs established(carded) stats.
And our free agent market is much bigger than the nfl.

[ Edited Sat Feb 01 2020, 02:44p.m. ]
noodles
Sat Feb 01 2020, 02:50p.m.
Webmaster

Registered Member #1

I think Cleveland Mark is right - These are apples and oranges.
mark
Sat Feb 01 2020, 03:13p.m.
Registered Member #45

I’m not sure how to get there, my ideal would be a game fair for all levels of participation and that doesn’t have a strategy to win built in (unintended)that is more gaming strategy rather than football strategy. Because trading away most of your rookie picks every year is a gaming strategy. Not sound football strategy.
BlackHillsChris
Sat Feb 01 2020, 04:41p.m.

Well as I have been out of the loop the past 2 months. I was well aware of the original issue thread. There is a lot of good information that has been put out by all of you.

However:
Most stats and information are not indicative of the league and it moving forward.
Changing a lot of rules without a fresh start is a bad idea. It does nothing but created more work and more issues after issues.

Lastly, I started a Salary cap league in Baseball in 1996. It started out great then it fell into the issues that are presenting itself in this league. We had bandaid rules and additions such what have been presented just to realize in the end nothing changed. So a redraft happened. Then more rules until a complete restructure again. I am NOT advocating a redraft. I just feel that some issues presented are drastic and need to be really looked at.

One thing about salary cap leagues is that it no where represents any league that works. Like the NFL. In the KRFL we can not cut contracts willy nilly. Yes we can but with a penalty. Most contracts in the NFL can be cut without repercussion.

I think we have already passed the slippery slope of fixing some of these issues.

My team for example was given to me in a bad state. Then with no real qbs to take I was up agaisnt a wall. Then this year I have 1 WR and thats it. I will be bad for a while. I have the right to make creative deals and sell off in order to better the team.

Thanks and I look forward to talking about this more. Feel free to call me also.
mark
Sat Feb 01 2020, 05:05p.m.
Registered Member #45

Thanks for your input Chris. Sound advise.
noodles
Sun Feb 02 2020, 01:13a.m.
Webmaster

Registered Member #1

Let's stipulate Cliff's point that there is no perfect system. That doesn't mean we should make the perfect the enemy of the good. Many of us believe we have a problem, not a major problem, but one that still needs addressing. I was going to repost my weighted lottery idea (you can find it in the other thread if you want), but instead I believe I have found a simple and elegant solution from the statistical gurus at fivethirtyeight.com. (see here). It's out of the box because no real world league uses it but I think it is brilliant and will work to the intended effect if given a chance. Here is the description from fivethirtyeight:

“In a nutshell: Teams tank because they own their own picks. We could eliminate tanking by creating a world in which nobody owned their own pick, but instead owned stock market-style futures on other teams’. Teams get to pick other teams’ finishing positions in the following year as their own. The worst team gets to pick the team whose draft position they would like to have next year (not their own), next the second worst team would pick whose draft position they want, etc.”

No need for a post-season tournament of losers, increasing the in-season cap, wrangling with tiebreakers, further impeding trades, setting a salary floor, etc. One simple rules tweak to how we do business. This rule could be implemented immediately after the amendment process to apply to next season (Not sure about the timing of this selection process - maybe after the FA draft?).

That leads me to the second issue that has come up during the discussion - what to do with really suckee teams. I have an idea for that.

The Crappy Team Rescue Plan
We need to define what a crappy team is if we are going to make rules to help them get better. I propose this definition: A crappy team is any team that has 7 wins or fewer totaled over two consecutive seasons. (One season is too small of a sample and isn't reflective of the typical ups and downs of a franchise). Any team designated as crappy is allowed to drop two veteran contracts without penalty and gets a first round supplemental pick in the rookie draft (pick 25 etc.) This rule could also be implemented immediately after the amendment process.

[ Edited Sun Feb 02 2020, 01:14a.m. ]
Steelers
Sun Feb 02 2020, 09:13a.m.
Registered Member #100

The webmaster has me sold on this idea.
Much simpler than what I suggested and contains a rescue plan for teams at the bottom of the barrel. Bravo...
mark
Sun Feb 02 2020, 10:41a.m.
Registered Member #45

I like this idea as well!
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF