KRFL :: Forums :: KRFL Forums :: 2017 League Business
Future Playoff System Change << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Moderators: noodles, MarkB
Author Post
MarkB
Thu Dec 29 2016, 10:40p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

For next season I would like to see us consider & vote on moving to a NFL style playoff system.

Right now five teams in each conference make the playoffs. The three division winners and two wild cards. The division winners all get a bye in the first round of the playoffs.

I would like to consider an NFL style system where the three division winners and three wild card team, instead of two wild card teams, make the KRFL playoffs in each conference. The three division winners would be seeded 1-2-3 based on record and the Wild Card teams would be seeded 4-5-6 based on record. Then, like the NFL, the two division winners with the best records get a first round bye.
In the first round, seed #3 hosts #6 and seed #4 hosts #5. Seed #1 and #2 get a bye.
In the second round, the #1 seed hosts the worst surviving seed from the first round and seed #2 hosts the best surviving seed from the first round.
In round three the highest surviving seed hosts the lowest surviving seed. The winner goes to the KRFL Superbowl.

This accomplishes a couple of things I'd like to see:
1) One more team makes the play offs making the regular season games later in the season more important.
2) Only two teams get first round byes, emulating the NFL,
3) Again emulating the NFL, a fixed bracket systems is not used. The highest seed team plays the lowest seeded team in each round.

Please give some consideration to this.

Thank you,

mark
Fri Dec 30 2016, 05:53p.m.
Registered Member #45

I like this proposal.
PapaBear53
Sat Jan 07 2017, 11:46a.m.

Make it happen!

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF