KRFL - a football simulation league
Forums
KRFL :: Forums :: KRFL Forums :: 2016 League Business
Proposed Rule Change: Eliminate $1.5mil/year Salary Increase for Player Signed for 5+ Years << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Moderators: noodles, MarkB
Author Post
MarkB
Sun Mar 27 2016, 05:00p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

Current Rule
Rule Book Section: 14.11
Players signed to contracts of 5 years or more will have yearly increases of $1.5 million per year. So a player with an initial contract of $500k signed to a five year contract will have salaries of $500k, $2 million, $3.5 million, $5 million and $6.5 million for the relevant years.

Proposal:
Eliminate this rule.

Explanation:
Since we eliminate the the $10million cap on a player's salary last season, I think we should also eliminate this rule. I don't feel we have a big roster turn over issue, but this might help teams retain more players from season to season than they do now.
Salem
Mon Mar 28 2016, 09:55a.m.
Registered Member #25

I like this idea. I would support it.
Hawks
Mon Mar 28 2016, 08:48p.m.

The $1.5m increase on contracts of five or more years has always forced an interesting decision. I'm usually in favor of rules that are designed to keep the Free Agent pool replenished. This rule would seem to assist teams in retain more players. I'm unsure about this. I'd like to hear more discussion.
MarkB
Tue Mar 29 2016, 12:05a.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

Hawks wrote ...

The $1.5m increase on contracts of five or more years has always forced an interesting decision. I'm usually in favor of rules that are designed to keep the Free Agent pool replenished. This rule would seem to assist teams in retain more players. I'm unsure about this. I'd like to hear more discussion.

-----------------------------
Yes, that (it would allow teams to retain more players) is probably true. Contrary to belief, KRFL does not currently have any more roster turn over from year to year than the NFL does. It is about the same. It just seems like it sometimes because I think we generally sign players to shorter contracts than the NFL does.
noodles
Wed Mar 30 2016, 01:53a.m.
Webmaster

Registered Member #1

I'm with Alabama on the importance of replenishing the FA pool. I think the elimination of the $10 million salary ceiling per player will help that. I think this proposal is good, if only to treat all players the same for easier bookkeeping.
PapaBear53
Wed Mar 30 2016, 08:33p.m.

I would not support this idea for the reasons Alabama Mark indicated. It would lead to less FA turnover and if anything we want more.
Cliff
Wed Mar 30 2016, 09:11p.m.

This will just lead to more begins and more bad contracts that will further distant teams records because teams will sign players for 5 years+ with no penalty of a higher increment and in the long run what is a bargain in year one could be bad by year 3 and you may owe this guy 2-3 more years at a higher price and easily an owner can accumulate 3-4 of these guys and be completely handcuffed by year 3 to where they can't cut them because of 3 years worth of fine s and has no money left to compete for 1-2 years and could lead to owners quitting because they are so non cometitive

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF