Re: Vacation and Upcoming Calendar << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Moderators: noodles, MarkB
Author Post
noodles
Tue Jun 26 2012, 11:46a.m.
Webmaster

Registered Member #1

Mike wrote:

I'm not happy about the suddeness of this change and others the League takes.
I'm not a fan of starting & stopping "League Business". Especially for extended periods
spanning a couple of months. Steve already is on record as wanting to suspend activities
for the first 4 months of the calendar year, starting in 2013.

Up until a week ago, the Trade Deadline was advertised as Aug 10th. (and that's dating
back to the implementation of the League Calender a couple of months ago)
Apparently, if 7, 8 or 9 coaches want change course, the remainder of the league is forced to follow.
The new schedule is 1 week now, and 1 week in late August. A ton of NFL activity will transpire
between those distant dates and we're blocked from acting on that.

I just don't understand the why behind it. If someone does not want to pursue trades for the next 2
months that should be an individual choice, not a mandate. If 19 coaches are not interested in trading
and prefer to forget about football, that should not block the few that do want to trade.

On related point, 2 months ago we were going to discuss the Game Changes and vote (if needed)
after completion of both drafts. The logic being, by now a majority of coaches would have a better
feel for the numerous changes implemented by DKS in the 2012 version. Apparently, that too
is no longer on the calendar with the just announced suspension of League Business.

What's the point of posting these Calendars Periods if 2 months from now, the whims of 10 coaches
dictates another change of plans?

If the membership supports suspension of League Business for extended periods, several times throughout the year, I respect their wishes, but likewise please appreciate it's not a format I believe is conducive to a healthy league nor one that I want to continue with. I believe these dead periods contribute to apathy, thus
provide the opposite effect of their good intentions.

That's all I have to say on the subject.

Mike
Las Vegas

Jerry replied:

OK.... I never thought I'd say this; but I actually agree with some of Mike's thoughts :=) ;even though I'm against his efforts of cloning the KRFL into OFL II :=)

I naturally voted in favor of a freeze in activity, because it's a nice break when having to update files every day, especially since I do files for 2 football and 2 baseball leagues, besides helping run and playing in numerous others. I did also note that I thought the resumption date should be early in August, not so close to the start of the season. I agree with Mike that we should also address any game change issues now.

I think Steve just needs a break since he jumped into the commish job, and it may be taking more time than he thought. Formal league activity would be closed; but informal discussions would still abound. You could make a trade and post, and while there is no guarantee that a trade committee member would act on it; they just might see it and approve it. I think the whole caveat would be not spamming the league with stuff during the down time via e-mails; keep it on the website where only those that want to look can.

Like I said, I'm flexible on any issues here; except that we need to address all game and playing changes before we go on break.

Jerry
BC
noodles
Tue Jun 26 2012, 01:30p.m.
Webmaster

Registered Member #1

I think it's important to get as many voices heard on this matter as we can. I have no problem admitting a mistake or correcting an overreach so I invite everyone to express their thoughts. I'll post a response later tonight. For now, I'd like to clarify one issue.

Mike said
2 months ago we were going to discuss the Game Changes and vote (if needed) after completion of both drafts. The logic being, by now a majority of coaches would have a better feel for the numerous changes implemented by DKS in the 2012 version. Apparently, that too is no longer on the calendar with the just announced suspension of League Business.

On Monday, April 30th, I created a thread titled New Version of the Game. Here is what it said:

The new version of APCFB is out and includes some changes we may or may not want to address.

From the DKSports website:
New league rule settings allow for more specific usage penalty settings. We’ve also added options to allow all players to attain minimum usage levels before any game usage penalties are considered. Quarterbacks can be allowed to throw 20 passes, running backs 5 rushes, and receivers 3 catches before usage penalties apply. We’ve also added the ability for more customized league injury, penalty, and audible settings. New 2011 and 2012 pro football replay rule changes are also available as a league rules option.
If you believe that any of these modifications might require an additional league vote to go into effect THIS SEASON, make your case in the thread below. The Commissioner will determine if a second round of rule amendment voting is needed. That voting would occur during the rookie draft. This thread is only about changes in the new game version.

After one month, 54 views and NO replies, I pulled the second amendment process from the schedule.
mark
Tue Jun 26 2012, 06:03p.m.
Registered Member #45

Mike, I think much of this dialogue could be kept between you, Jerry and the commissioner. Yes the commissioner, you know, the guy that runs the league. Maybe you should have a calm conversation with him before popping off. I like what Jerry says here in that there is nothing stopping anyone from making trade deals, they just might not be tended to right away. Why air your dirty laundry every time you don't like a decision that has been made. And I really feel bad that you threaten to quit and take your ball home when you don't like something. It's very embarrassing. A"simple" note to the commissioner should be enough. This would benefit the league. And my nervous system.

Thank You,
Mark Hackworth
Cleveland Rocks
mudvilles9
Tue Jun 26 2012, 08:16p.m.

I voted for the break before I voted against it
"John Kerry"
mudvilles9
Tue Jun 26 2012, 08:19p.m.

srsly, I voted for the break but I am ok with what ever works for all parties. I understand the positions of both sides.
Perhaps there is some middle ground here as Jerry pointed out.
noodles
Wed Jun 27 2012, 01:42a.m.
Webmaster

Registered Member #1

This issue has been sent to the League Office for discussion but feel free to continue your comments .
BarryB1124
Fri Jun 29 2012, 08:04p.m.

I totally get why an extended break is in order. It's a long and complicated draft with lots of activity. But I don't think it needs to be six or seven weeks long with zero trading. I'd say open trading the last week of July or first week of August. Realistically how many trades would be expected in that time anyway?

[ Edited Fri Jun 29 2012, 08:05p.m. ]

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF