KRFL :: Forums :: KRFL Forums :: 2021 League Business
Increase roster size and salary cap << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: noodles, MarkB
Author Post
Salem
Sat Mar 27 2021, 08:29p.m.
Registered Member #25

Current Rule: Lots (if there is interest in this rule, I will write it all up)

Proposed change:
Increase roster size from 52 players to 55. With the increase in players, we would increase the salary cap from 83 million to 85 million.

Justification:
In the NFL, teams carry 55 men with 48 men each week being active (it used to 46, but they collective bargained to 48). Given the injury ratings and the fact that we do not have an IR, I have played countless games where my team or the other team has quite a few injuries at the same time. No doubt I have played games (or my opponent) with an active roster below 46 players. The increase in roster size would allow teams to handle injuries easier. We have all played games where your team or your opponents team is very thin at one or multiple positions. This means some teams play with players out of position, are unable to sub in for tired defenders, or cannot play certain formations (I know I was not able to play dime defense at times last year with only 5 healthy DBs).

In addition, with the new rule passed last year that players drafted spend an additional year on the roster before being needing a contract, the increase in roster size will allow teams the opportunity to keep those players who need more development time.

Given the increase of 3 additional roster spots, we can increase the cap by 2 million (I picked two because the cap would be a nice round 85). We can increase the cap by just 1 million - does not matter, though I do think a small increase to accommodate the 3 additional players is warranted.
MarkB
Sat Mar 27 2021, 11:57p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

The NFL did increase team roster size from 53 to 55 last year and NFL teams used many more players than that last season to get through it. So I think an increase roster sizes might be a very good idea otherwise KRFL teams will need to make extensive use of free agent signings to have enough healthy players to get through the season without facing the same issues Jeff mentions, or worse.

However, I would offer the following "friendly amendments" to this proposal to increase rosters from 52 to 55 players:

1) The salary cap increase would be $1.0 million. Any players added to these new roster spots will likely be at the lower end of the rating scale and therefore lower salaries. So the salary cap increase $1.0 million to $84 million (with the additional $5.0 million increase during the season).

AND

2) Active rosters last season in the NFL was 48 players. There is a new feature in the 2021 game that allows leagues to set active roster sizes for games at any number. So say that is 48, then some of the 55 players on the roster would need to be designated inactive before each game. It can set to let the computer choose which players are inactive players (don't ask me how it does that) or it can be done manually by the team's coach. If it is done manually and at kick-off of a game the team has more than the allowed number of active players, a warning message is displayed and the game cannot begin until the team's number of active players is reduced. Since I do not know how the computer chooses the inactive players, if rosters are going to increase from 52 to 55, I would require this feature be turned "On", setting it to 48 players, and set it to requiring coaches to manually determine who there 48 active and 7 inactive players are for each game.

[ Edited Sun Mar 28 2021, 12:05a.m. ]
Salem
Sun Mar 28 2021, 12:16a.m.
Registered Member #25

All of that works for me. I like the idea of having just 48 active players. 1 million increase works for me as well.
Salem
Sun Mar 28 2021, 02:16p.m.
Registered Member #25

NFL appears to be moving to a 17 game season, so I think it becomes even more important to add a few extra roster spots....
MarkB
Sun Mar 28 2021, 02:26p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

Salem wrote ...

NFL appears to be moving to a 17 game season, so I think it becomes even more important to add a few extra roster spots....

-----
That would not effect KRFL until the season after the NFL makes that change as we are always one season behind.
Salem
Sun Mar 28 2021, 03:13p.m.
Registered Member #25

True, but I don't see a reason to wait a year, given what I said above.
MarkB
Tue Mar 30 2021, 07:56p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

MarkB wrote ...

2) Active rosters last season in the NFL was 48 players. There is a new feature in the 2021 game that allows leagues to set active roster sizes for games at any number. So say that is 48, then some of the 55 players on the roster would need to be designated inactive before each game. It can set to let the computer choose which players are inactive players (don't ask me how it does that) or it can be done manually by the team's coach. If it is done manually and at kick-off of a game the team has more than the allowed number of active players, a warning message is displayed and the game cannot begin until the team's number of active players is reduced. Since I do not know how the computer chooses the inactive players, if rosters are going to increase from 52 to 55, I would require this feature be turned "On", setting it to 48 players, and set it to requiring coaches to manually determine who there 48 active and 7 inactive players are for each game.

-----------------

I've been thinking some more about this. This does add to the burden of managing your roster. And I can see games being held up because one team has more than 48 active players and needs to make changes before the game can begin. Though since I am not a beta tester, I don't exactly know how it is done. For example, can it be done while the two teams are connected to each other, or does one team have to modify its roster and send a new coach's file to his opponent? The only other alternative I have been told is available is to let the game engine choose the inactive players before the start of each game, which I understand it does based on player durability ratings. So, if we let the game engine do it, we go into the game with a bit of a roster lottery to find out who the active players will be.

So....
Do you think having 48 active players instead of 52 or 55 is a good idea?
If "yes" is your preference to have the coaches make the decision of who is inactive each game or let the game engine do it? As I have proposed it, coaches would make the decision each game. But I am willing to change that.

MarkB
Tue Mar 30 2021, 07:57p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

Salem wrote ...

True, but I don't see a reason to wait a year, given what I said above.

---------

I agree. I wasn't suggesting we wait a year, just pointing out KRFL would not move to a 17 game season until next year (2022) assuming the NFL moves to 17 games in 2021.
Salem
Tue Mar 30 2021, 10:28p.m.
Registered Member #25

MarkB wrote ...

So....
Do you think having 48 active players instead of 52 or 55 is a good idea?
If "yes" is your preference to have the coaches make the decision of who is inactive each game or let the game engine do it? As I have proposed it, coaches would make the decision each game. But I am willing to change that.

[/quote1617147952]

Honestly, I have no strong preference on this. Perhaps we can play a practice game after April 15th and see how easy it is to get down to 48. I don't think there is any real competitive advantage to have 55 players active. Players 49-55 won't be that good to begin with. But again, no strong preference. I just think 55 players on each roster is ideal.

Salem
Sat Apr 03 2021, 10:58a.m.
Registered Member #25

Bump - this still needs support. No negative comments so far. I think it is a slam dunk (what do I know!) but should at least be on the ballot!
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF