Forums
KRFL :: Forums :: KRFL Forums :: 2021 League Business
Cutting backup QBs << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: noodles, MarkB
Author Post
Inverness
Sun Mar 28 2021, 10:05a.m.

What if we just change the requirement in 4.4 for 2 QBs on the roster? If your QB has a 10 rating, the backup won't see the field anyway and it opens another roster spot. If you want a backup to rest your starter or need one to get the required 400 passes, then draft one. Plus the Trubisky example above will not be impacted and the GM still has to eat a trade decision gone bad.
MarkB
Sun Mar 28 2021, 10:46a.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

Inverness wrote ...

What if we just change the requirement in 4.4 for 2 QBs on the roster? If your QB has a 10 rating, the backup won't see the field anyway and it opens another roster spot. If you want a backup to rest your starter or need one to get the required 400 passes, then draft one. Plus the Trubisky example above will not be impacted and the GM still has to eat a trade decision gone bad.

------
A 10 durability rating, or even 10+, does not eliminate the possibility a player can be injured, even if it is only for a few plays. It has happened to me. So we need to stay with the minimum requirement of two QB's.
Seahawker1976
Sat Apr 03 2021, 12:07p.m.
Registered Member #62

I support the proposal .
Salem
Sat Apr 03 2021, 08:08p.m.
Registered Member #25

I would like to point out a couple of things.

1. After looking at the preliminary ratings - Josh Rosen has a durability rating of 10. As far as I can tell, he didn't throw a single pass this year.

2. Yes, I could potential benefit from this rule in the future. So would several other teams. Here are the following QBs who are under contract and are not starters now or may not start in the future...

Sam Darnold
Jameis Winston
Kyle Allen
Teddy Bridgewater
Mitch Trubisky
Jarred Goff
Josh Rosen
MarkB
Sat Apr 03 2021, 08:47p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

I continue to be strongly opposed to this proposal as I disagree with the premise of the proposal and I believe the consequences of this proposal are not in the best interest of the league.

>The rule IS meant for players who get injured and who play in very few games.

>It was not meant for players whose performance/skills decline and they became a backup.

>It is not meant, for example, for a QB who plays well for a year or two, is given a big contract, then his performance declines and he loses his starting job. He wasn't injured, he simply wasn't good enough to be a starter any longer, but he was good enough to be a backup and active for every game. That could happen to a player at any position not just QB (though I agree it is more likely to happen to a QB).

>A true backup QB like those listed in the proposal, or a true back up at any position, would never received a high dollar - long term KRFL contract. So a team would never have to absorb a huge salary cap fine to cut the player if their Durability rating was more than 3.

>This proposal rewards teams for signing QB's to what in hindsight was a bad contract when the QB can longer hold his starting job and becomes a back up, and this rule would allow the team to release him without a salary cap fine. As a result, this could also lead to teams hording QB's, which is not good for the league..

Nothing has been posted to convince me otherwise, as such, I remain strongly opposed to this proposal.
MarkB
Sat Apr 03 2021, 09:00p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

Salem wrote ...

I would like to point out a couple of things.

1. After looking at the preliminary ratings - Josh Rosen has a durability rating of 10. As far as I can tell, he didn't throw a single pass this year.

2. Yes, I could potential benefit from this rule in the future. So would several other teams. Here are the following QBs who are under contract and are not starters now or may not start in the future...

Sam Darnold
Jameis Winston
Kyle Allen
Teddy Bridgewater
Mitch Trubisky
Jarred Goff
Josh Rosen

---------------------------------------------------------
Rosen is a great example of why I am opposed to this rule. After his 2018 NFL season where he started 14 NFL games, he was given a 3 year contract in KRFL. A season later he lost his starting NFL job. Unfortunately, that KRFL contract proved to be a poor decision. But it was a risk worth taking after he was drafted in the top 10 at a premiere position and started 14 NFL games. Why should the KRFL team signing him to that contract be allowed to release him with no salary cap consequences just because he is a QB? Again, that (a starter becoming a back up) can happen to a player at any position. Help me understand how allowing Rosen's KRFL team to release him with no consequences benefits the league? Why even sign QB's to contracts if we are not going to enforce them?

[ Edited Sat Apr 03 2021, 09:18p.m. ]
sjenk
Sat Apr 03 2021, 09:24p.m.
Registered Member #73

I'm late to this debate but opposed to the idea of cutting a QB at no cost just because he loses his starting position. That said, the durability rating seems an imperfect measure.

"The Durability rating in the game is based on how many games the player was on the team's game day active roster, regardless of whether he actually played in the game."

As the owner who gambled on Rosen, it's not possible he should have a 10 durability rating. He was active for only 2 games all season.

[ Edited Sat Apr 03 2021, 09:33p.m. ]
MarkB
Sat Apr 03 2021, 10:00p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

sjenk wrote ...

I'm late to this debate but opposed to the idea of cutting a QB at no cost just because he loses his starting position. That said, the durability rating seems an imperfect measure.

"The Durability rating in the game is based on how many games the player was on the team's game day active roster, regardless of whether he actually played in the game."

As the owner who gambled on Rosen, it's not possible he should have a 10 durability rating. He was active for only 2 games all season.

-----------------------

Re: it's not possible he should have a 10 durability rating. He was active for only 2 games all season.

I agree. I've sent an email to DKSports service asking why he is a 10. I will post the response when I get it. Maybe it is as simple a ratings are preliminary until the new game is actually released.
MarkB
Sun Apr 04 2021, 08:15p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

This proposal did not gather the required three supporters. Therefore it will not be put to a vote this season.
MarkB
Wed Apr 07 2021, 09:35a.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

MarkB wrote ...

sjenk wrote ...

-----------------------

Re: it's not possible he should have a 10 durability rating. He was active for only 2 games all season.

I agree. I've sent an email to DKSports service asking why he is a 10. I will post the response when I get it. Maybe it is as simple a ratings are preliminary until the new game is actually released.

--------------------

Response from DK Sports on the Josh Rosen preliminary durability rating of 10:
If a player was never on an NFL game day active roster the entire season, he does not get rated and is treated the same as a player who got hurt in training camp and missed the entire season. But we are not sure yet if we will keep that the same. Reason being there are always teams that get through a season with little or no need for the second QB but in a replay they should always be available.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF