KRFL :: Forums :: KRFL Forums :: General League Discussions
I am Upset About Teams Giving Up in Games << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Moderators: noodles, MarkB
Author Post
MarkB
Sun Dec 13 2020, 10:44a.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

It seems we always end up with teams that are short (or think they will be short) of pass attempts, rushing attempts or receptions towards the end of the season. Obviously the better the team, the more offensive plays it will run. And the poorer teams will pass more than they run (since they are more often behind in the second half).

In 2019, the average KRFL teams did not run anymore more plays than the average NFL team:
Average NFL team in 2019 ran 418 run plays, 558 pass plays and 976 total plays.
Average KRFL team in 2019 ran 422 run plays, 529 pass plays and 951 total plays.

We allow players an additional 10% of pass attempts, rush attempts and receptions over and above their NFL actual. Yet, after getting behind early in the games, we've had teams take a knee for three downs then punt, and this season a team starting punting on 1st or 2nd down early in the game, according to the coach to save pass attempts/rush attempts/receptions. Obviously our strict roster rules and not being able to control the timing of player injuries plays into it. And we do have rules that allow a team who has clinched its division, or any team after week 14.

I personally hate losing, try to win every game and so I find this completely unacceptable and would like to find a solution because it happens season after season and it effects the playoff seedings, draft pick positions and overall competitive balance of the league in last season games. I am not saying NFL teams don't hold out starters or only play them portions of games late in the season, but if an NFL did these blatant kinds of things I see in KRFL, they would be subject to an aggressive fine, likely either financial or loss of draft picks, or both. I think we may consider that to stop this foolishness.

[ Edited Sun Dec 13 2020, 10:59a.m. ]
MarkB
Sun Dec 13 2020, 11:12a.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

Even plays with your Blow Out line-up (this situation is what that line-up is for), running plays using an already overused RB, passing attempts by your 2nd, 3rd string QB to never used receivers with ratings of 1 etc. are better and more in keeping with what a NFL team would do....
jonwolgamuth
Sun Dec 13 2020, 11:12a.m.
Registered Member #92

Mark's post is about the way I managed my team and my game last night. I did what I thought I needed to do to put myself in a better position long term, but in hindsight, Mark is right. It doesn't look good and I promise that I will run things differently from here on out.

The fact of the matter that the way I played put pressure on Seattle to potentially overuse his players which isn't fair to him.

[ Edited Sun Dec 13 2020, 12:44p.m. ]

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF