Forums
KRFL :: Forums :: KRFL Forums :: 2020 League Business
Contracts of players opting out << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Moderators: noodles, MarkB
Author Post
sjenk
Tue Jul 28 2020, 05:51p.m.
Registered Member #73

Maybe too soon yet but any thought on how we will handle contracts of players opting out of 2020 season? Especially those under long-term contracts. Should they get exemption, or be treated as any other player not meeting min. games played requirements? This season, if there is one, could throw up a few issues.
MarkB
Wed Jul 29 2020, 10:53p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

I feel they should be treated as if they got injured and are out for the season. So you can choose to cut them with no penalty, or keep them and their salary counts against the salary cap. The only other option I see is not counting the player's salary against a KRFL team's salary cap. But then the coach and I'd would have to do the homework to confirm that the player did not play any games because he choose not to. The NFL is not keeping such a list because if a player has a one year contract, it is simply voided (Devin Funchess is the most recent example). So he is not listed anywhere on any sort of list).

It remains to be seen if there is even a season. MLB is trying and you see what happened to the Marlins. And baseball players do not come into close contact with other players on every play like football players do.

[ Edited Thu Jul 30 2020, 05:25p.m. ]
KRFL-BayCity
Thu Jul 30 2020, 10:15a.m.
Registered Member #12

I would favor extending their contract by 1 year moving all salaries forward one year; giving the team a roster exemption for them with no salary cap hit....
MarkB
Thu Jul 30 2020, 05:33p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

KRFL-BayCity wrote ...

I would favor extending their contract by 1 year moving all salaries forward one year; giving the team a roster exemption for them with no salary cap hit....

A major change like that would definitely need to be put to a vote of the league members.

I am not getting too concerned about this situation. Absent a vaccine, I feel there is less than a 10% chance of the NFL playing 16 games, and less than a 25% chance of the NFL stating in November and playing even eight games. In addition to the MLB Marlins, look what happened to the Phillies today. So, I suggest we wait a little longer to see what happens to the NFL before we start getting worked up about how to handle this situation, because it will very likely not be the same in 30 days.

KRFL may very well be the only football you have this Fall!
noodles
Fri Jul 31 2020, 03:06a.m.
Webmaster

Registered Member #1

I agree with MarkB. No need to put the cart before the horse yet. Just like the NFL, we'll have to do some serious adaptation to circumstance next season but for now enjoy that the KRFL is likely the only game in town.
sjenk
Fri Jul 31 2020, 01:23p.m.
Registered Member #73

Agree there's no rush. Only raised as something to think about, not debate at this point.
MarkB
Fri Jul 31 2020, 10:59p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

sjenk wrote ...

Agree there's no rush. Only raised as something to think about, not debate at this point.

No problem. Definitely something we will need to address when we have more info on what happens to the NFL this season.
MarkB
Fri Aug 07 2020, 11:00a.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

In case we need it, below is the list. It is interesting that this list is nowhere to be found on the NFL wesbite.

Players opting out of the 2020 NFL season
Arizona Cardinals — OT Marcus Gilbert
Baltimore Ravens — OL Andre Smith, KR De'Anthony Thomas
Buffalo Bills — CB E.J. Gaines, DT Star Lotulelei
Carolina Panthers — LB Jordan Mack, LB Christian Miller
Chicago Bears — DT Eddie Goldman, S Jordan Lucas
Cincinnati Bengals — OT Isaiah Prince, DT Josh Tupou
Cleveland Browns — DT Andrew Billings, OT Drake Dorbeck, G Drew Forbes, G Colby Gossett, G Malcolm Pridgeon
Dallas Cowboys — CB Maurice Canady, WR Stephen Guidry, FB Jamize Olawale
Denver Broncos — OT Ja’Wuan James, DT Kyle Peko
Detroit Lions — WR Geronimo Allison, DT John Atkins, C Russell Bodine
Green Bay Packers — WR Devin Funchess
Houston Texans — DT Eddie Vanderdoes
Indianapolis Colts — S Rolan Milligan, LB Skai Moore, CB Marvell Tell
Jacksonville Jaguars — Edge rusher Lerentee McCray, CB Rashaan Melvin, DT Al Woods
Kansas City Chiefs — G Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, T Lucas Niang, RB Damien Williams
Las Vegas Raiders — LB Ukeme Eligwe, CB D.J. Killings, DE Jeremiah Valoaga
Los Angeles Rams — OT Chandler Brewer
Miami Dolphins — WR Allen Hurns, WR Albert Wilson
Minnesota Vikings — DT Michael Pierce
New England Patriots — RB Brandon Bolden, OT Marcus Cannon, S Patrick Chung, LB Dont’a Hightower, TE Matt LaCosse, WR Marqise Lee, OL Najee Toran, FB Dan Vitale
New Orleans Saints — TE Jason Vander Laan, TE Cole Wick
New York Giants — CB Sam Beal, WR Da’Mari Scott, OT Nate Solder
New York Jets — WR Josh Doctson, OL Leo Koloamatangi, LB C.J. Mosley
Philadelphia Eagles — WR Marquise Goodwin
San Francisco 49ers — WR Travis Benjamin, OT Shon Coleman
Seattle Seahawks — G Chance Warmack
Tampa Bay Buccaneers — OT Brad Seaton
Tennessee Titans — OL Anthony McKinney
Washington — DE Caleb Brantley, LB Josh Harvey-Clemons
MarkB
Thu Aug 13 2020, 08:56a.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

Now that I think about this, assuming the NFL plays a full season or close to it, we have a precedent...

We have had situation where a player choose to sit out a season, typically becuase of contract disputes. The latest example was RB LeVeon Bell. In that case, we treated him the same as a player who was injured in training camp and did not play during the season. The KRFL team could keep him on their roster, with his salary counting against the salary cap, or release him with no penalty.

Therefore, I feel we should handle the Covid-19 Opt Out players exactly the same way.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF