Forums
KRFL :: Forums :: KRFL Forums :: 2019 League Business
We need to talk about tanking << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: noodles, MarkB
Author Post
Craig
Thu Oct 03 2019, 10:46p.m.

I’ve often thought about that, a draft that goes from say (if the top eight make the playoffs) give the first pick to the #9 team, the second pick to #10, and so on. But the problem is you are making it impossible for a bad team to *ever* get good.
MarkB
Thu Oct 03 2019, 11:25p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

Re: There is zero reason to be a mediocre team in this league. You want to be either really good or really bad. I will always believe that is what needs to change.

I AGREE!!! So what do we do to change it?

I like the idea of a minimum in-season salary (KRFL salary not ActionPC salary) and draft order where the team with the best record that didn't make the playoffs doesn't pick 12th. So do we have picks 1-12 go from best non-playoff team record to worst record (the opposite of the way it is now), or perhaps the six teams with the best records who didn't make the playoffs pick 1-2-3-4-5-6 and the team with the worst record picks 7th, or use some kind of weighted lottery system , ..... ??
MarkB
Thu Oct 03 2019, 11:27p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

Craig wrote ...

"I’ve often thought about that, a draft that goes from say (if the top eight make the playoffs) give the first pick to the #9 team, the second pick to #10, and so on. But the problem is you are making it impossible for a bad team to *ever* get good. "

I disagree that a bad team can never get good because of our player contract system. It is hard to keep more than a couple of players for more than 4-5 seasons.
noodles
Fri Oct 04 2019, 02:41a.m.
Webmaster

Registered Member #1

I'm all aboard with the idea of reversing the draft positions - that is, rewarding the highest finishing non-playoff team with the highest pick, etc.
It's a counter-intuitive idea that just might be a perfect fit for the league. I say we give it a go and if we hate it after a couple of years we just
rescind the concept. (see note)

The salary cap floor of $70m has its merits but by itself won't accomplish the goal. (Remember, for me and others, that goal is to have a reason for every
team to try to win every game). There is still a big loophole in the salary cap floor idea and that is that future draft picks have no immediate monetary value.
Those future players are essentially "off the books." A savvy trader could still manipulate the process by taking on a high cost bad value one year rental
to stay above the floor while still selling out their current team.

note: I was hesitant because like Craig I worried about "making it impossible for a bad team to *ever* get good." MarkB's point about
roster transition because of our contract structure is a good answer to that but we could add one more tweak to remedy that problem. Give new owners
the number one pick for the draft ensuing after their joining. (If there is more than one new member in a year, we just award them randomly the top spots).
With the other new owner incentives, that should give new owners a great start. After that, they join the rest of us in a level playing field with adequate
experience as to how the league works.
MarkB
Fri Oct 04 2019, 08:46a.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

noodles wrote ...

I'm all aboard with the idea of reversing the draft positions - that is, rewarding the highest finishing non-playoff team with the highest pick, etc.
It's a counter-intuitive idea that just might be a perfect fit for the league. I say we give it a go and if we hate it after a couple of years we just
rescind the concept. (see note)

The salary cap floor of $70m has its merits but by itself won't accomplish the goal. (Remember, for me and others, that goal is to have a reason for every
team to try to win every game). There is still a big loophole in the salary cap floor idea and that is that future draft picks have no immediate monetary value.
Those future players are essentially "off the books." A savvy trader could still manipulate the process by taking on a high cost bad value one year rental
to stay above the floor while still selling out their current team.

note: I was hesitant because like Craig I worried about "making it impossible for a bad team to *ever* get good." MarkB's point about
roster transition because of our contract structure is a good answer to that but we could add one more tweak to remedy that problem. Give new owners
the number one pick for the draft ensuing after their joining. (If there is more than one new member in a year, we just award them randomly the top spots).
With the other new owner incentives, that should give new owners a great start. After that, they join the rest of us in a level playing field with adequate
experience as to how the league works.

--------------------

That is why I do not believe teams should be allowed to trade draft picks beyond the next draft. Seems like there is support for that.
So perhaps:
+Trading of draft picks in the next draft only
+Salary Minimum
+Revised Draft order (more discussion on the actual form might be needed).

Also, I am hoping we never have new owners because this group stay in tact forever, making the issue of new members irrelevant. We now have our best group in years (in my opinion!)
mark
Fri Oct 04 2019, 09:07a.m.
Registered Member #45

I like Salem’s idea as well.
Craig
Fri Oct 04 2019, 10:46a.m.

I agree about trading draft picks for next year's draft only. Makes sense.

The problem with KRFL salary as opposed to Action PC Football salary for the floor is the KRFL salary is not in many cases an accurate depiction of the team's ability. I have D.J. Swearinger set to make $6M next year, and he'll probably have no stats. I could trade him to a tanking team for a good player, which helps us both -- I get a good player, he gets to stay over the salary cap, without improving his team.
MarkB
Fri Oct 04 2019, 12:08p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

Craig wrote ...

I agree about trading draft picks for next year's draft only. Makes sense.

The problem with KRFL salary as opposed to Action PC Football salary for the floor is the KRFL salary is not in many cases an accurate depiction of the team's ability. I have D.J. Swearinger set to make $6M next year, and he'll probably have no stats. I could trade him to a tanking team for a good player, which helps us both -- I get a good player, he gets to stay over the salary cap, without improving his team.

----------------------------------

AH! But therein lies the uniqueness of KRFL. Sometime you over pay in KRFL, sometime you under pay. But I get your point. It is worthy of consideration. Question: How would you establish the minimum if the Action PC team salaries were used instead?

Anyone else have thoughts on using ActionPC salaries for the minimum salary vs. KRFL salary?
BlackHillsChris
Fri Oct 04 2019, 02:15p.m.

So here I go. I am the newbie here. I will start with I really like this league. I had been looking for a fair and simple cap league. I found this league. I liked the site and the organization of things. Though some of these ideas scare me.

There has been a lot of points made here. One was taking over a team with no hope. Well, that was me. The previous owner basically gave up and did not leave much, IE a QB which in this league has been impossible to get. So I am going with a trash QB taken in one of the last rounds. Some might consider that Sandbagging. I disagree since there was nothing worth paying for. Frankly, I am glad I did not get Luck. I would have been even more screwed. I am against the wall so trading players to get more picks is the way I have to build.

With some of these ideas, I will never get better. Some owners want to make it tighter to trade.

So where am I going with all this is Trading is the way to build when the draft is the only way to gain players. Trading is a lifeblood of a league. As a former commissioner in baseball league's it shows when the trades slow quality goes and teams become stale.

I have Shaquil Barrett and he is off to a great start and I will lose him at the end of the season. So again a bad team gets worse. So anything of quality goes unless I redraft him.

See what I am getting at. It is pretty rough on my end. It was hard to deal this year.

I was mixed about the trades going from 8 to 4 and now that it has been implemented I truly hate it.

The ideas of a ground cap is nice but if you set it too high then why deal.

Lastly removing trades from the season SUCKS, why don't you just have the draft to build with.

Then switching the draft order. Well to me it would put the nail in the coffin. it would basically make me a team that will never get of a hole.

Well, folks I am not crying whoa is me. Just staing the obvious.

As a former commish that had a cap in Baseball we saw the same thing. Where teams had to blow up things in order to rebuild. It is the way it needs to happen to build up again. When you put too many controls on things its not fun and pretty impossible to build.

I seem to be in the minority and it sucks too do alot of work that I am doing for the next drafts just to waste my time.

One last thing, I submitted a rule to help with salary in the draft that was not approved. It would help with trading and flexibility when the top pick and the pick 24 some players later is the same price. It would help this issue some. Though that is not what others think.

Thanks for your time.
mark
Fri Oct 04 2019, 03:05p.m.
Registered Member #45

Your concerns are worthy concerns. This can be the problem with teams taking over. But, I have to say the league has become a bit boring , kinda like the NFL. QB heavy, trading a lot at dead lines seems to be the formula. And it’s better to trade rookies for players because that player has a given production that you know will happen. I like the game, but there has always been a noticeable participation devide as well. Not sure what the answer is. I like trading in the off season, but I’m not crazy about it in season. But I’m sur esomething can be worked out.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF