KRFL - a football simulation league
Forums
KRFL :: Forums :: KRFL Forums :: General League Discussions
Possible Future Expansion from 24 to 28 Teams? << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Moderators: noodles, MarkB
Author Post
MarkB
Sun Mar 27 2016, 04:33p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

I feel we have solid group of 24 members. As much as it is difficult to find new people who will be solid members, I am wondering if there is any interest in expanding from 24 to 28 teams as in 2018 or 2019 (I think 2017 would be too soon)? My thought is the NFL has 32 teams. Not that we have "all-star teams" but we are using about the top 75% of the NFL players. I've wondered how much more interesting the league would be if we expanded to 28 teams and expanded the player pool to include that next level of players. It would certainly make team roster management and game coaching more interesting. I know we'd have to work out the expansion rules, but if the majority are not interested, I am not going to waste my time creating them. Please share your thoughts for and against expansion.
edm
Mon Mar 28 2016, 11:02a.m.

I'm in a 28 team league and like the format. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea.
Hawks
Mon Mar 28 2016, 08:44p.m.

This is the only APCFB league that I'm in so I don't have a feel for the supply/demand issue concerning dynasty leagues. Several leagues have been indicating that they have openings. KRFL has had some decent continuity, but do you think that we could attract/retain four additional committed owners? The implications of a 28-team league would mean that 5-rated players would have more value, which isn't a bad thing. How many prospective owners are waiting to join?
Inverness
Mon Mar 28 2016, 10:36p.m.

I would also like to see a list of people wanting to join. A solid league of 24 can become a scrambling league of 28 always searching for owners.
MarkB
Mon Mar 28 2016, 11:36p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

Currently they are three former members on the waiting list. All three quit the league prior to me taking over as Commissioner. I consider one or maybe two as reasonable candidates. So to expand we'd need to do some recruiting.
noodles
Wed Mar 30 2016, 01:46a.m.
Webmaster

Registered Member #1

Hate the idea. If you think the FA pool is thin already, imagine subtracting an additional hundred plus players from it. Heck, I could make an argument that we'd increase parity by actually decreasing the league to 20 teams.
Cliff
Wed Mar 30 2016, 09:14p.m.

Not enough talent and attempts to go around based on modern day RB by committee and rise in injuries and more owner turnover would definitely occur and in the leagues I run getting harder and harder to find owners yet alone ones that stay more a year or two. I just don't see a lot of new blood coming into the leagues and certainly know plenty who have given it up.
PapaBear53
Wed Mar 30 2016, 09:19p.m.

I got Ahtyba Rubin (6 rated) in the 300K round last year. That is a decent starter/solid rotation guy for next to nothing. Look at my roster from last season. I had a 67 catch WR that didn't play much for me. I had the aforementioned Mr. Rubin as a fill-in DL. I had a 6 and two 5 rated backup ILB. Crown City had 9, count 'em 9, DB's rated 6 or higher. We are right on the verge of becoming an all-star league, at the top if not throughout, due to our salary structure that may or may not reflect a player's actual production. I am not saying our salary structure is bad or needs changing. Far from it. It is the single biggest reason I am in this league. But what I am saying is that our talent needs to be spread around further rather than be more compacted. Our top teams are better than the NFL's, some by a good margin. I dislike all-star leagues immensely. Having 28 teams would keep our teams more in sync with real life and make it more closely mirror real life, where there are no 7 rated backups.

And just FYI, to answer any fears anyone has about filling the 4 extra teams with solid owners, my league is a 28 team league and we have had 100% owner return the last two seasons. If you field a good product and make the league a good place to be with good owner participation and solid ownership, as well as the great commitment from the top league brass that we have here, the owners will come. And they will stay. Word will get around. It always does.
Cliff
Thu Mar 31 2016, 12:27a.m.

Your team by far was the exemption to the rule and having an extra 6 and 5's really wouldn't mean much to changing the balance of the league. Hard to compare a replay league to real life because in real life their are no limits set on the skilled position. If someone gets hurt the coach can plug anyone he wants in to take attempts but we are limited by the past season stats. We don't have the luxury if a RB blows out his knee as saying the backup now can have 20+ attempts a game with no limitations or reduced results.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF